lørdag den 7. september 2013

This morning, my last ringing here this season, started strangely. Louis opened the nets almost single handedly as I was late waking up and we both heard a baffling wader call. We have our assumptions but as the bird(s) flew over in total darkness and we couldn't decide on I.D at the time, we have left them as possibles and that's the end of that story.

Ringing was very quiet with only 11 new birds.
Willow Warbler 3
Redstart 2
Icterine Warbler 2
Whitethroat 2
Spotted Flycatcher 1
Red-backed Shrike 1

After so few birds during the standardised, we took nets down immediately and saw to other tasks. Louis enjoyed a leisurely afternoon with the Firecrests taking some sound recordings, the visiting birders enjoyed some nice movements of common birds and held a meeting (which involved a lot of beer) in the sun. I slogged it out at the tip for 5 hours, from 13:30 - 18:35; joined by Louis and the guys from the station sometime after 3.

It was clear all day that many hirundines were on the move, but quite how many is hard to say. I only counted from mid afternoon onwards, but with a constant stream of Swallows and House Martins with a few Sand Martins mixed in, I estimated 5 or 6000+ We also had a Swift earlier in the day over the garden.

Migrants in the afternoon

Sparrowhawk 42
Hobby 1
Little Gull 123
Wigeon 201
Pintail 6
Teal 22
Garganey 1
Tufted Duck 3
Eider 23
Shoveler 2
Common Scoter 270
Velvet Scoter 2
Black-throated Diver 2
Guillemot 1
Arctic Skua 5
Common Tern 3
Arctic Tern 2
Commic Tern 9
Black Tern 4
Dunlin 19
Siskin 1 flock. Heard though not seen.


Migrants  before the count started included 110 Wigeon,18 Crossbill and Ringed Plover. A TAWNY PIPIT was heard mid-morning but we aren't sure if it migrated or was resting along the coast. Also a RED-THROATED PIPIT.

Resting birds
1 Curlew,
60+ Golden Plover
1 Nuthatch
3(+) Firecrest
30 Willow Warbler
Merlin 1 Juvenile.
Siskin 19
Common scoter 65
Arctic Skua 1
Long-tailed Skua 2 Juveniles.
Goldfinch 8
Starling 45
Sparrowhawk 4
Kestrel 1
4 Cranes (3 ad, Juv) came down to the point briefly before realising just how windy it was and returning Northwest.

Tomorrow I will leave Gedser. It's been a fantastic period and I've become close to a few great people. I will always look back on my time here and smile. The birds may not have been in the nets in numbers expected, but I've said it numerous times; there's always something to see in Gedser, be it migrating raptors, waders, tourists or naked bathers - it's all fun and games.

I would like to thank in particular Rune and Hans for accepting me back here at the station and there continued support from afar. Also Gert, Benny and Anders Z for always being great company around the station. A special thanks go to Anders & Heidi, the cutest young couple in Denmark, ever - our time together here was great and really made this summer memorable and Louis, for his generosity and patience towards me in the field. A great teacher and friend, I am eternally grateful. So Thanks, truly.

Gedser will always be a special place for me, the birds, the place the people. I sure will miss it. So, before I get the tissues out and cry into the small hours I will attach a photo of the Wasp Spider from the station today and leave you to marvel at it.
Wasp Spider at Gedser Fuglestation - Craig Brookes
Photo and blog: Craig Brookes.

Ingen kommentarer: