torsdag den 23. april 2015

First Common Redstart for the year

Today was a good day of ringing despite windy conditions. A total of 33 new birds were ringed and 8 retraps were caught - much better than yesterday considering I only had the nets open for the standard 5 hours! Good species diversity too today with 11 species ringed, of which Robins (15) and Willow Warblers (5) were the most common. Also in with the usual species were Linnets, Blackcaps, a Yellowhammer and the first Common Redstart of the year. Great to have the chance to see this guy in the hand before I leave.



That officially concludes my time at Gedser Fuglestation - like I said in yesterday's blog post I can't believe how fast the time has gone and I wish I had longer. Ringing in Gedser every morning for the past month has been bliss! I've been so impressed by the terrific setup and scientific program at the station, and will be stealing a few ideas to take back to Australia. It's been a pleasure to meet many of those involved with the station and those who read the blog and came down to say hi - thanks for making me feel so welcome. The community involvement at the station and appreciation for birds that I've witnessed in Gedser is something very special and heartening for the future of bird research and conservation here. I would especially like to thank Hans and Gert for their time, effort, support, expertise and excellent company over the past month - you guys are the best and have made my time here so enjoyable. And I'll have to come back to ring that Wryneck!

Breakdown 23/04/2015:
Dunnock (Jernspurv) - 3
Robin (Rødhals) - 15
Common Redstart (Rødstjert) - 1
Song Thrush (Sangdrossel) - 1
Blackcap (Munk) - 2
Chiffchaff (Gransanger) - 2
Willow Warbler (Løvsanger) - 5
Goldcrest (Fuglekonge) - 1
Greenfinch (Grønirisk) - 1
Linnet (Tornirisk) - 1
Yellowhammer (Gulspurv) - 1
TOTAL = 33



Lizzy Joyce

Ingen kommentarer: