torsdag den 26. marts 2015

Record March catch

This morning was the best March day on record for Gedser Fuglestation, with a total of 151 birds ringed - a brilliant welcome for myself on my first day at Gedser! A lack of wind and low visibility at the beginning of the morning created perfect conditions for the bumper catch. Goldcrests were moving through the area and made up the majority of the catch, with an astounding 97 individuals processed. Later as the wind picked up and the morning began to slow down a flock of Eurasian Siskins passed through, and 10 individuals were ringed. European Robins and Chiffchaffs also featured heavily, with 10 and 8 birds ringed, respectively. Highlights of the morning include the capture of a very handsome male Reed Bunting, and three Firecrests.

I am visiting Gedser Fuglestation from Perth, Western Australia and will be ringing here until late April. I am a ringer from the Herdsman Lake Banding Group in Western Australia and have experience ringing throughout Western Australia and Zimbabwe. My time at Gedser is a great opportunity for me to contribute to the invaluable research being conducted at the station and learn as much as I can about European birds. After such a great start I am looking forward to seeing what the next month holds for me!



Breakdown of catch 26/03/2015
Winter wren - 6
Dunnock - 5
European Robin - 10
Common Backbird - 2
Song Thrush - 1
Redwing - 2
Chiffchaff - 8
Goldcrest - 97
Firecrest - 3
Blue Tit - 2
Chaffinch - 1
European Greenfinch - 3
Eurasian Siskin - 10
Reed Bunting - 1
TOTAL: 151


Lizzy Joyce


2 kommentarer:

Hans Lind sagde ...

Hello Lizzy:

Please tell me: Wich white raptor are you holding?
Regards Hans

Gedser Fuglestation sagde ...

Hi Hans,

It's a Black-shouldered Kite (Elanus axillaris) from Herdsman Lake in Perth.

Lizzy