tirsdag den 21. april 2009

Klara´s blog


Dear bird people! My name is Klara and I’m a New York based artist. This spring, the Danish Arts Council invited me to Copenhagen for a three months residency. Purpose of my stay is my arstistic growth in a new place, intellectual exchange with the local art world, as well as the development of a new project.

Since my arrival three weeks ago, I’ve been finding much joy and reward in having time, space and resources to just explore and find inspiration in this new environment. I met some very nice and interesting people, and finally got to catch up on reading, as well as practicing my drawing techniques.

Another thing I was hoping to learn more about are birds. On the internet, I found Copenhagen’s Zoological Museum and the bird ringing center. As I visited the museum I got lucky to meet Rune from the center, who showed me around, and referred me to the Gedser bird observatory. Again, I got lucky to get in touch with very open people, who invited me to stay for a few days and learn about their bird banding activities.

On a slow day at the station the mood was rather subdued, as it was once again windy and barely any birds to be caught. Suddenly news comes in that a rare bird has been spotted 160 km away from Gedser. Jesper and Gert jumped up and in a hurry we ran outside and jogged from net to net to close everthing up and off to the car. Gert managed to get us there in one and a half hours and I am convinced his style deserves the golden car key to New York City’s traffic.

As we arrived, it was again time to jump and run, this time right over bushes and creeks into the deep forest. A moment later we joined a group of guys with big binoculars, giant tripods and cameras with even bigger tele-lenses. The object of their desire – a small bird hopping and flying high up in the trees. But it was nowhere to be seen.

Could it be that we drove 160 km, all invane? I personally would have settled for a nice walk in the forest, learning about the Danish trees and plantlife. Not so my companions! It was bird or nothing!

Finally – thank goodness! – the bird showed up. I have only seen so much group excitement over a goal during the finale of the soccer world cup. Instantly, tripods were put into place and cameras started clicking. I, too, got quite excited to see the little one flutter from tree to tree. Even better, it really stuck around, as if it was enjoyed its celebrity status. I´m sure it gave the dedicated bird watchers the show they deserved.

To me, bird watching was always an activity practiced by ladies in their 50ies and 60ies. I was surprised to find all those men in the forest. In the USA, the only men who I’ve seen bird watching were a couple of loyal and sleep deprived husbands. Most of all, I had no idea how much excitement and edurance is required. I always thought of myself as a sporty person, but you bird watchers really take your commitment to a new level!

I was also impressed by the care and tireless work that Jesper gives to the birds at the Gedser banding station. If human interaction with nature tells us about the society we live in, I wish there were more bird banders.

From what I can tell so far, it seems to me that artists and and bird watchers/banders have something in common: a deep passion and commitment to a quest that doesn’t give you money but certainly a purpose in life. And that we might ask for a lot of patience and understanding from our partners and familly.

Today has tuned out to be my last day of stay. As I just checked my emails (darn this new technology), reality called me back to work and sadly I have to rush off to Copenhagen. I wish I could stay longer, getting up at 4 am and for once enjoying the sun rise as I’m starting my day, rather than ending it.

Toward the end of my residency, I will have an exhibition at Koh-I-Noor, an artist run space in Copenhagen. Please be welcomed to my opening on the 26th of June, from 5 – 8 pm, at this location: http://www.koh-i-noor.org/.

In the meantime, may your bird lists flourish!
Foto: Klara Hobza

Ingen kommentarer: