lørdag den 26. april 2014

Sunny spots

26/4/2014 – Gedser – Jennifer Lynch
Another stunning sunny day at Gedser, warm enough for me to even take my coat off! As I began opening the nets Simon and Johan headed off to assist with Rune with some Eider ringing. With light winds, the morning began smoothly with the usual early visitors Robins, Wrens and Song Thrush. Similar to yesterday it appeared that many of the birds from yesterday had moved on, but thankfully there were some new arrivals to keep me busy. I managed to catch 29 new birds throughout the morning. The new birds were mostly the usual suspects; Dunnock, Robin, Wren and Song Thrush. There was also a nice selection of migrants with 5 Willow Warblers, 5 Chiffchaff (much to my delight), 3 Lesser Whitethroats and 2 female Blackcaps.  Both Blackcaps were from last year, and it was interesting for me to see evidence of a more restricted post-juvenile moult in these northern Blackcaps, compared to those I handled in northern Spain a month ago.
                                                                   Yellowhammer

A few flocks of Wood Pigeon flew overhead during the morning along with 3 Buzzards, one which took a break on the mast next to the ringing hut. In the last round of the morning there were two nice surprises, a beautiful buttery coloured male Yellowhammer and a somewhat unexpected Spotted Flycatcher; a nice finish to the mornings ringing session. 
                                                                      Spotted Flycatcher

Tomorrow will be my last day at the station, let’s hope for some more nice surprises! 
Jennifer Lynch

Ingen kommentarer: