fredag den 4. november 2011

Today (3rd November) was a weird sort of a morning. By first light I had seen no fewer than 50 Sparrowhawks whizzing around, through or over the garden and I anticipated catching a few throughout the day. When I took the first net round slightly after light I could make out 2 Sparrowhawks right next to each other in the net, as I approached closer through the mist and haze I could make out they were not in fact Sparrowhawks but Woodcock.

Woodcock (Scolopax rusticola)
Adult birds.

This was a nice suprise. Duely ringed and released I carried on with the daily Robin ringing of late until I heard an unseasonal call, at first I put it down to my lack of sleep and tiredness, but I heard it again. Just as I was getting back to the house Benny came to me excited and said he'd just heard a strange bird flying around, I knew at once he'd had it too. It was a Serin, a very very late bird. Later in the morning the tapes were on to try and attract it. Within minutes I had heard and seen the bird again and was hopeful. Finally at 1pm I took a Serin from the nets.

Serin (Serinus serinus)
Adult female.

 A very happy man indeed with 2 species seldom caught in one day. Both of which were new species for me to handle.

 Photo's: Craig Brookes
Posted by: Craig Brookes

Ingen kommentarer: