onsdag den 28. august 2013

With Northerlies, come birds.

First off, apologies for no post yesterday 27th August, ringing was as low as low could be with 0 new birds, plenty of re-captures but the garden was devoid of new life. I took the opportunity to clear some large bushes and make a general mess around the garden,it was great!

Today then, with the wind shifting to the North over night I had hoped the migrant floodgates would swing open and birds flood through on their southward migrations. It wasn't a 'mega day' in the history of Gedser, but it was good enough to keep myself, Mathias and Hans busy for a few hours.

190+ were ringed today then.

Highlights and top scorers were;

Willow Warbler 53
Whitethroat 28
Lesser Whitethroat 26
Blackcap 20

Grasshopper Warbler 1
Red-breasted Flycatcher 1
Thrush Nightingale 1
Sparrowhawk 3

Lesser Whitethroat (2cy+) - Craig Brookes
What would make this a good story other than adding the one that got away? Well first round today, one did get away! In the half light and the mist of the twilight hour we took the first round almost silently. As we approached a net in the corner of the garden a bird (presumably at this stage) scurried out in zig-zags in front of me. I looked harder and sped up, the bird took off and slammed into the net, all hell broke loose for what seemed like forever (dramatic, I know) as I struggled to reach the net and keep this leggy visitor in the net. I failed. Many bad words which are not appropriate for this blog, nor any young man my age were thereafter blurted out. The SPOTTED CRAKE had left the building! Truly gutted I didn't get to see it in the hand, life goes on!

Birding highlights today.

Marsh Harrier 3
Red Kite 3
White-tailed Eagle 1
Kestrel 5 (3 migrated)
Sparrowhawk 32 (12+ Migrated)
Buzzard 5 (3 Migrated)
Arctic Skua 1 Juv, lingering off the point, harassing terns. 

Photo and Blog: Craig Brookes

Ingen kommentarer: